Admissions - Postgraduate
The University of the West Indies remains the premier institution of higher learning within the region. The Faculty of Medical Sciences is committed to achieving the strategic goals of the University, positioning itself as the leading educator in medicine and the allied health professions.
The minimum requirement for admission to a graduate diploma or taught Master’s degree programme shall be a Lower Second Class Honours degree or its equivalent, unless the Campus Committee in any particular case otherwise decides.
The minimum requirement for admission to a taught masters’ degree in the Faculty of Medical Sciences shall normally be a Lower Second Class Honours degree or its equivalent. Read more...
In order to enroll in a Research degree (i.e. MPhil/PhD), you should have at least an Upper Second Class Honours degree or its equivalent. The following are eligible to apply for admission to PhD programmes:
- Persons holding approved graduate degrees awarded primarily for research;
- Persons holding a taught Master’s degree from the UWI or another approved University, provided that the Master’s programme included a research component of at least 25% of the total credit rating and the applicant achieved at least a B+ average or its equivalent;
- Persons registered in MPhil degree programmes of the UWI who have met the requirements for upgrading of their registration, as stipulated by the Board for Graduate Studies and Research;
- Persons possessing such other qualifications and experience as the Board for Graduate Studies and Research may approve.
Admission of applicants to PhD programmes without prior registration for the MPhil must be approved by the Board for Graduate Studies and Research.
The applicant to the DM programmes should be:
- a graduate in medicine of a University or Medical School recognized by the University of the West Indies
- registrable in the territory or territories in which the programme will be done. Criteria for registration should be
obtained from the relevant medical council.
- Applicants will be eligible for entry after completing their internship and for some programmes relevant work experiences
- Applicants are also required to complete the Senior House Officer programme where required by the Government.
Other criteria may be required by specific programmes. See Regulations.
The following candidates are eligible to apply for registration for the MD degree.
- Graduates in Medicine of this University or of a University or Medical School approved by the University of the West Indies of at least two (2) years standing, and who are fully registered as medical practitioners in the territory or territories in which the research project will be carried out.
- A candidate who is not a graduate of the University of the West Indies must hold or have held an academic post in the Faculty of Medical Sciences of the University of the West Indies, or must have engaged in:
- scientific work directly relevant to his profession or
- in the practice of Medicine and Surgery in Institutions or
- Teaching Hospitals approved by the University of the West Indies
Visit the Office for Graduate Studies and Research.