The International Students Office (ISO) was established on August 1, 2008 in partial response to the Strategic Plan 2007-2012 and as a Campus initiative to both enhance the services to international students and to drive the internationalization imperatives of the Institution.
It is expected that through the strengthening of the Campus international office the Institution will experience:
- Increased enrolment of full-time international students
- Increased enrolment of students under international student exchange and study abroad arrangements
- Increased education enrichment opportunities through exchange and study-abroad experiences for UWI students
- The forging of strategic partnerships that will open opportunities for joint research and research funding.
The International Students Office at the Mona Campus currently offers the following services to its constituents:
- Special Orientation Programme for all incoming non-Jamaican students
- A special pre-departure programme for all UWI students preparing to participate in exchange and study abroad programmes
- Processing of visa extensions
- Processing of all overseas special admission, exchange, study abroad and medical elective applications
- Dissemination of information regarding scholarships available for study abroad
- Distribution of promotional material on the UWI to overseas partners
- Establish relationships with prospective partners and drafting of agreements on behalf of faculties, departments, units and institutes.
- Facilitating the smooth transition of non-Jamaican students to Jamaican life and culture.
Our internal partners:
- The Admissions Section
- The Office of Student Services and Development
- All Faculties and Departments
- The Human Resource Management Unit (Health Insurance)
- Students Records Unit
- Examinations Section
- Communications and Marketing Office (formerly Public Relations Office)
- Guild of Students (Primarily the President and Country Associations)