Masters of Arts & MPhil Phd in Leadership in TVET & Workforce Development
Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) and Workforce Development (WFD): Why?
In recent years, conditions in the “world of work” have been changing at a fast pace; so too have the profiles of workforces all over the world. New forms of occupations and jobs are emerging and new vocations are being developed alongside traditional professions, to match the growing changes and demands of science, technology, business and communication in human enterprises. Technical and vocational education and training (TVET) remains the key to developing the workforces required
to respond to such changes.
However, there is an existing and growing demand for strengthening of the leadership capacities and capabilities to design, develop and manage TVET and Workforce-related programmes to respond to changes in the world of work. The critical need for building leadership capacity for this development is the primary reason for the creation of this graduate study programme by the School of Education, UWI.
Strategic Objectives of the Programme
To satisfy the demand in the CARICOM region for educational leaders who can design, manage and support training and workforce development
- To provide the foundation for the development and enhancement of education and training policies in the region for sustainable development in the related workforces.
- To encourage, facilitate and guide new quality research and development activities in TVET to inform policy and workforce development.
- To provide an additional professional development track for TVET practitioners to improve their leadership capacity.
- To provide qualified instructional leaders with new skills and capabilities to improve the quality of existing education and training programmes and to enhance the quality and performance of TVET institutions in the region.
The Master of Arts Programme
- A first degree in any Science and Technology-related field at or above the Lower Second Class Honours level; or a grade point average equivalent to a ’B’ or above.
- An approved professional qualification such as teacher education, healthcare, social work or allied professional qualification.
- A minimum of five years work experience in a technical or vocational area.
Other equivalent workplace experience and qualification obtained in training or workforce development or comparable programmes.
Candidates will be required to complete the following 39 credits at the 6000 level, which include a research project, in order to satisfy the requirements for the Masters Degree.
TVET and WFD Core Courses 15 Credits
Applied Science Courses 6 Credits
Optional Courses (Electives) 6 Credits
Research Project 9 Credits
Field Experience and Seminar 3 Credits
Method of Delivery
This programme will be delivered bi-modally, online and/or face-to-face and may include summer courses on campus as well as a research based internship. The face-to-face programme will be delivered at UWI, Mona or any other approved University campus.
- Full time MA programmes are normally completed within 18 months
- Part time programmes normally extend over a minimum of two years, including summers.
(Note: A part time candidate shall normally registerfor a minimum of six credits per semester.)
The MPhil/PhD Programme Requirements
- Candidates pursuing this option are required to satisfy all course requirements for the MPhil prior to upgrading to the PhD.
- Candidates will be required to complete special 7000 level courses, fieldwork assignment and seminars as outlined in the programme manual.
- Candidates are required to carry out rigorous research and complete a dissertation of not less than 24 credits.
- Candidates are required to satisfy all requirements established by the Office of Graduate Studies and Research of the UWI.
Method of Delivery
Special PhD level courses will be delivered using the same modality as the Masters courses.
Approximately 3 – 5 years
Application forms are available from the Office of Graduate Studies and Research at Mona, from U.W.I centres in the region or online