SUMMER 2003GEOHAZARDS COURSE AT UWI, MONA - page 021Prepared and compiled by
Unit for Disaster Studies,
Department of Geography and Geology,
University of the West Indies, Mona, Kingston 7, Jamaica
EARTHQUAKE OF NOVEMBER 11, 1812
1. Ground sank in anchorage, Annotto Bay, possibility of submarine flow slide.
BOX – 4
GROUND FAILURES EARTHQUAKE OF 14 JANUARY 1907
Epicentre: Location uncertain, probably close to Buff Bay - Annotto Bay coast.
Maximum Intensity: At least MMI X;
Magnitude: Ms 6.5
Effects: As in 1692, eastern half of the island most severely effected by Ground Failures may have caused tsunamis; extensive landslide actively; significant liquefaction in sediments of Port Royal, Hope River Delta and around Kingston Harbour; Submarine Cable breaks off the coast of Bull Bay in Hope - Liguanea Fan; Fault break reported from Portland Gap area of Blue Mountains.
Remarks: As in 1692, damage reports mainly deal with damage to houses, death and injury; details on ground failures sketchy.
Locations of failures:
1. Port Royal - extensive liquefaction; spectacular examples of loss of bearing strength, fissuring and sand boils; changes to the morphology of the Palisadoes peninsula; submarine flow slides.
2. Harbour View - Fissuring in the sediments along the mouth of the Hope River (appears to include the site of present day Harbour View Housing Development).
3. Hope-Liguanea Fan off Buff Bay - Submarine flow failures caused rupturing of submarine. Telecommunication cables at 6 km, 24 km, and 35 km from the coast.
4. Around Kingston Harbour - Windward Road - slumping, fissuring; change in the flow of Rockfort Mineral Spring suggested liquefaction at depth. Sections of the Liguanea Plain around the Harbour - Reports of ground failures ascribed to liquefaction.
Port Royal and Blue Mountain Ranges - Reports of extensive earthquake - including landslides.
6. Coastline between Port Antonio and St. Ann's Bay - It appears that sections of the seaward side of the coastline may have been affected by localized submarine flow failures, details are sketchy.
BLO 20010511 - - - COMMENTS ? - - - next page - - -
Table of Contents