Frequently Asked Questions

For Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Faculty of Science and Technology Click here

For Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about registration Click here

The B.Sc. is designed to be completed in three academic years. Students who did not matriculate at Level I (introductory level) can spend an extra year taking preliminary courses; their programme would be four (4) years long.

Yes. Some community colleges offer courses equivalent to the Department’s Level I courses. Students who successfully complete these courses at a community college with a good GPA may be admitted to Level II and can complete their programme in two (2) years. Applicants from community colleges are considered on a case by case basis for advanced placement.

A student who registers for an MPhil is expected to complete the programme within two (2) years; a student who is registered for the PhD programme is expected to complete within three (3) years. Students typically register for the MPhil programme and then transfer to the PhD programme; this route takes approximately five (5) years to complete.

Admission to the University’s medical programme is very competitive. Your best chance into the programme is to gain A’s in your chemistry courses. The Faculty of Medical Sciences has its own matriculation requirements with which you should become familiar.

Yes. Graduates from our department have worked and studied in many countries.

Yes. In 2012, The University of the West Indies, Mona received institutional accreditation from the University Council of Jamaica for seven years.

On the faculty page there is information on the various research groups in the department; you could start there. Additionally, if you have interest in the content taught in one or more of your courses then you could speak to your lecturer about your research interest.

Faculty members are always looking for talented students to support their research. You could make an appointment to meet with the faculty member whose work interests you.

The University has outlined requirements for the award of degrees. Generally, for First Class Honours a GPA of 3.60 and above is required but there are other conditions to be met. Please consult your student handbook.

The University accepts applications to graduate programme throughout the year. However, most graduate programmes ask that applications for the upcoming academic year be submitted as early as January of the calendar year of entry.

Your faculty advisor is assigned by the faculty office. You can visit the faculty office to learn who your advisor is.

Successfully completing courses is important for the declaration of a major and the award of your degree, including class of degree. There are several options available after failing courses. Please speak with an advisor to find your best option.

Each course is assigned a coordinator.  If you are not able to adequately resolve an issue with a lecturer, then your course coordinator is the next point of reference. Additionally, complaints may be brought to the attention of the student representative for the course. This student representative attends a  Staff-Student Liaison Committee meeting held at least once per semester at which students’ complaints and concerns are aired and discussed.

A chemistry degree is a highly valued degree. Chemistry majors are considered to be above average in analytical ability. Chemistry graduates work in industry, business, education/academia, analytical services and law enforcement. Many also become researchers and entrepreneurs.

This varies dramatically and depends on your place of employment and the position that you will occupy in the company/institution.

Yes.  Jamaican chemists have done groundbreaking work. One such area is in medicinal chemistry using indigenous plants. A google search would lead you to more information.

Limited employment opportunities exist for students in the department. However, the University operates a Placement & Career Services centre that assists students in finding employment.

The department offers a Peer Led Team Learning (PLTL) programme for Level I students. Ask at the office about the PLTL programme.

Several bursaries, grants and scholarships are offered through the Office of Student Finance annually. Visit the office to learn of all available financing options for which you qualify.