QUALIFICATION & GRANTING INSTITUTION
PhD - Decision and Information Sciences with concentration in Operations Management (2000): University of Florida, USA.
Msc - Decision and Information Sciences with concentration in Operations Management (1992): University of Florida, USA.
BSc - Management & Economics (1990): The University of the West Indies, Mona.
Diploma - Teacher Education (1985): Passley Gardens Teachers’ College
- IDU workshops covering the use of technology in the teaching-learning process (2003, 2009, 2013)
- Participated in teaching seminars convened by the Mona School of Business for faculty members (2007 & 2009): “Effective Teaching Seminar” by Professor Harvey Brightman
Chairman, Television Jamaica (TVJ) and Director, Radio Jamaica Group (RJR) – (2013 - present)
Director - Television Jamaica (TVJ) - (2011 - 2013)
External Examiner - University of Technology - Jamaica (2009 - 2013)
External Examiner - University of the Caribbean - (2009)
Member of Steering Committee that monitors the implementation of a funded project that targets family-owned businesses (FOBs) in Jamaica; focusing on capacity building in key areas. The Private Sector Organisation of Jamaica (PSOJ) is the implementing agency - (2009 - )
Member of the University Council of Jamaica (UCJ) accreditation review team for the University of Technology - 2009.
Member, Target Growth Competitiveness Committee (2009)
Deputy Chair, Board of Governors: Mona High School (2006 – 2010).
University Representative on the steering committee for the Poverty Reduction Programme I - Funded by the European Union and coordinated by the Jamaica Social Investment Fund (2003 – 2006).
University Representative (and Chair) on the steering committee for the Poverty Reduction Programme II - Funded by the European Union and coordinated by the Jamaica Social Investment Fund (2007 - present)
Member of curriculum review committee for Wolmer’s Boys School (2000 – 2002)
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITY AND EXPERIENCE
- Facilitator & Presenter - workshop on governance of small and medium size enterprises (SMEs) and succession in family-owned businesses. Nassau, Bahamas- (March, 2011).
- Facilitator and presenter for the Radio Jamaica Communications Group, in their annual review and planning session (2009).
- Team leader for the FINPYME Project; covering Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago and Barbados. The FINPYME Project is sponsored by the Inter-American Investment Corporation (IIC) that targets small and medium size enterprises (SMEs) for capacity building.(2008 - 2012)
- Team leader and main organiser for an Inter-American Investment (IIC) funded seminar on governance of family-owned businesses (FOBs).(October, 2008).
- Reviewer for 2007 Hawaii International Conference on Business
- Member of Family Firm Institute (FFI) - the leading professional organisation covering research and other activities related to family businesses.
Funding Agency: UWI-NIF (Principal’s Office); Date: 2006; Title: Yield Management and the Jamaica’s Hotel Industry; Value of Grant: J$397,400.00. (Paper presented at academic conference ; being revised for re-submission to a journal)
Funding Agency: UWI-NIF (Principal’s Office); Date: 2011; Title: Caribbean Family Business – Their Voices on Strategic and Entrepreneurial Imperatives; Value of Grant: J$1.3M; Duration of project - August 2011 - December 2012.
POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH AND SUPERVISION
- Douglas Lindo: 2013, DBA. Title - Familiness (Family Influence), Firm Performance and Firm Value in Publicly listed Companies in Jamaica. Role: Co-Supervisor. Status: Projected to defend proposal in June 2016.
- Victorine McDaniel-Peterkin: 2012, MSc Tourism and Hospitality Management. Title: Faith-based Tourism . Role – Supervisor. Status: Student resumed 2015/2015 at LOA. Projected to complete end of 2016.
- Dawn Ebanks: 2011. DBA. Title: Critical Success Factors in SMEs in the Caribbean. Role: Supervisor. Status: Student put studies on hold.
- Elaine T. Williams: 2003. Msc in Tourism and Hospitality Management. Title: Housekeepers, the Unsung Heroes of the Hospitality Industry. Role: Supervisor. Outcome: Completed (Degree granted).
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
- Mathematics Teacher - Clarendon College (1985 – 1987)
- Statistic Analyst - Industrial Commercial Development (ICD) (1990-1992)
- Assistant Lecturer - The University of the West Indies (1993 – 1995)