NAME AND DATE OF BIRTH : Twila-Mae Logan
DEPARTMENT/UNIT/SECTION: Mona School of Business & Management
FACULTY/DIVISION : Accounting & Finance
POSITION : Lecturer
GENERAL AREA OF ACADEMIC SPECIALISATION : Finance
QUALIFICATION & GRANTING INSTITUTION The Ohio State University PhD 1995, MA 1994; Dalhousie University MBA 1990; the University of the West Indies BSc 1985.
- Corporate Governance in the Lodging Industry: Special Case of the Service Industry, International Journal of Management & Information System, 2013, Vol 17, 2 p 71-82.
· The Influence of Demographic Factors on Student Success in Online Vs. Face-to-Face Instruction in Hospitality Education. Review of Higher Education and Self-Learning, 2012, Vol 5, 16.
· Emerging FDI patterns in the Caricom region, International Journal of Business Research, 2008, Vol 8, 1.
· Investment Incentives, Ownership Structure and Risk of Commercial Banks in Jamaica International Research Journal Banks and Bank Systems, 2006, Vol 1 ,3 p 90 -99
· Interest Rate Risk and the Crisis in Jamaican Financial Sector: Social and Economic Studies, June 2005, Vol 54, 9 p29-49.
· The Optimal Debt Capacity for BOT Projects in Emerging Markets, Journal of Structured and Project Finance, Fall 2003 Vol9 3 p71.
REFEREED RESEARCH BASED/SCHOLARLY PUBLICATIONS
Currently under review for publication
The economic impact of the 2006 Commonwealth Games on International Arrival, Average Daily Room Rates and Occupancy Rates in Melbourne Australia, Asia Pacific of Tourism Research
Corporate Governance in Jamaica: A risk management approach, International Journal of Business and Management.
DISTINCTIONS, HONOURS, SCHOLARSHIPS AND AWARDS
Dalhousie University MBA Alumni Association Award for Academic Excellence (best academic performance) 1990
The University of the West Indies First Class Honours 1985
· Corporate Governance in Jamaica. Presented at The 5th Biennial International Business, Banking and Finance Conference, UWI St. Augustine Trinidad & Tobago May 2013.
- The Influence of Demographic Factors on Student Success in Online Vs. Face-to-Face Instruction in Hospitality Education. Presented at Intellectbase International Academic Consortium Nashville, May 2011.
- “Corporate Governance in the Hospitality Industry: Special Case of the service industry”. Presented at AEPP International Conference Montreal September 2009
- The Determinants of Outward Foreign Direct Investment from Emerging Markets – The Case of Brazil and Argentina. Academy of International Business, Milan, Italy July 2008.
- Foreign Direct Investment in the Caricom Region – Caribbean Scholars Association of New York Conference New York University April 2005.
- Interfirm Private Equity Sales: A Contracting Cost Motivation – Academy of Finance Association March 2005.
- Crisis in the Jamaican Financial Sector – Eastern Finance Association April 2003
- The Optimal Debt Capacity for BOT Projects in Jamaica” Privately Promoted Infrastructure Projects and Privatisation in The Caribbean Basin August 2001.
- “Risk and Efficiency Changes in the Commercial Banking sector after Deregulation of the Financial Sector” Mid-West Finance Association Meeting March 2001.
- Investment Incentives, Ownership Structure and Risk of Commercial Banks in Jamaica” Mid-West Finance Association Meeting March 2001
- “Private Equity Sales: Ownership or Information Asymmetry”
- Mid-West Finance Association Meeting March 2000.
- “Aftermath of the Financial Crisis: Recommendations for the future” Department of Economics Workshop, November 1999.
Special Parliamentary Sessions Government of Jamaica February – May 2000.
Provided expert testimony for the Senate Sub-Committee on the collapse of the financial sector
Passley Gardens Hatchery Portland Jamaica 1998-2000
Developed a computerized retail financial system for its day to day operations
Provided advice on governance issues when the Hatchery moved from a community based (internationally funded) entity to a formal corporation.
Jamaica Social Investment Fund Kingston Jamaica 1997
Analyzed financial data to improve both the administrative functions of the Fund and implementation of the social projects.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITY AND EXPERIENCE
Served as reviewer for the following journals: Cornell Quarterly Review 2012; International Journal of Emerging Markets 2012,
Served as reviewer for the following conferences: AIB US-SE Chapter Conference 2012; AIB main conference 2010.
POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH AND SUPERVISION
PHD: Lilieth Nelson Internationalization of universities: Benefits in relation to costs of specific cross border programmes and activities. University of the West Indies November 2013
DBA: Peter DelPiano. Greenfield and Heritage IPOs: A Comparison after One and Five Years Nova Southeastern University November 2012
TEACHING AND RELATED EXPERIENCE
Mona School of Business & Management 2013-present
Financial Management (undergraduate & graduates)
Florida International University Miami FL 2007-2013
Clinical Assistant Professor.
- Financial Analysis in the Hospitality Industry (undergraduate)
- Research and Statistical Methods (graduate)
- Financial Management (graduate)
Messiah College, Grantham PA 2003-2007
Taught undergraduate courses:
- Financial Management
- Money and Banking
- Social Issues in Economics
Mona School of Business, University of the West Indies 1995 -2013 (Summer adjunct positions)
Taught finance courses
- Financial Management (MBA & EMBA)
- Advanced Finance (EMBA)
- Management of Financial Institutions (MBA &EMBA)
- International Economics and Finance (MBA & EMBA)
- Finance (doctoral)
Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 2001-2003
Taught finance courses:
Applying Managerial Finance (graduate)
International Finance (graduate)
Investment Management (graduate)
Management of Financial Institutions (doctoral)
Corporation Finance (undergraduate)
Principles of Macroeconomics (undergraduate)
Intermediate Macroeconomics (undergraduate)
Monetary Policy (undergraduate)
Department of Management Studies, University of the West Indies. 1995 – 2001
Taught finance courses:
- Financial Management I & II (undergraduate)
- Financial Markets and Investments (graduate)
- International Finance (graduate)
Department of Finance, The Ohio State University 1990-1993, 1995
Taught undergraduate finance courses
- Investment Management (advanced level)
- Financial Management (intermediate level)
- Personal Finance (introductory level)
Other Academic Duties
Florida International University 2010-2013
- Chair of Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (School of Hospitality and Tourism Management).
- Led the revision of the undergraduate curriculum to meet professional accreditation standards.
- Member of several search committee for new faculty hires.
Member of the following university-wide committee
- Curriculum Committee 2010-2013
- Strategic Plan (Finance subcommittee) 2011
- Search committee Dean for the Chaplin School of Hospitality and Tourism Management.
- On-Campus Retail Banking Evaluation committee.
Department of Management Studies, University of the West Indies 1995 – 2001
§ Coordinator of the Accounting, Finance & Law unit within the department
§ Member of committee that redesigned the Masters in Accounting Degree.
§ University Examiner for the following courses
§ Financial Management I (Mona)
Financial Management II (Mona)
Financial Management – Hospitality & Tourism (Bahamas)
Teaching Fellow, Mona Institute of Business, University of the West Indies 1995 – 2001
§ Developed course outlines for the finance concentration for a MBA program.
Mona Institute of Business Kingston Jamaica 1996
Designed executive training program in collaboration with Citibank School for senior managers in the Jamaican financial sector.
EXTRA DEPARTMENTAL UWI SERVICE
Member of Faculty of Social Science AQAC 2013-Present
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
Jamaica Credit Union League Kingston Jamaica 2000-2001
§ Conducted island-wide training seminars in financial management, asset liability management and risk based lending for senior staff at credit unions.
§ Assisted in adapting training seminars for senior staff at member credit unions to enable accreditation by International League
Life of Jamaica Kingston Jamaica 1985-1988 – Actuarial Assistant.