Close Menu

Exchange/Study Abroad


  1. Visit the International Students Office to obtain information on available exchange opportunities offered by the various partner universities. Each partner institution has a quota and the Exchange Coordinator will confirm the availability of space(s) for the exchange semester.
  2. Browse the websites of these partner institutions to obtain information on courses relating to your specific area(s) of study. Match your UWI courses with courses at the partner institution. The matching course must cover the content of your UWI course.
  3. Download the course outline/description, from the selected partner institution, for the equivalent course(s) relating to your UWI course(s) for the exchange semester.
  4. Fill out the UWI application form and list the UWI courses and equivalent courses from the host institution.
  5. Submit the application form to the relevant department for approval. The course outline/description from the host University should also be submitted with the application form.
  6. After you have received approval of the courses, the application form should be submitted to your Dean’s office for approval. Then you submit the signed application form to the Exchange Coordinator, International Students Office.
  7. The exchange coordinator will provide the application instructions for the host university. Kindly note that some partner universities require a nomination by the exchange coordinator. For this process, the host institution will send you the application instructions.

Graduate students who will be doing taught courses will follow the instructions above. Graduate students who are interested in carrying out research at a partner university must first identify a supervisor at the host university. Contact should be made with the host university so that agreement can be given to support the visit. The host supervisor will issue a letter agreeing to provide supervision during the visit.

If you are interested in studying at a university that does not have an exchange agreement with the UWI, you can apply for a study abroad for the semester(s). You will be required to pay tuition to the host university. Please complete steps 2 – 6 above, and then you will follow the application instructions found on the host university website.


Eligibility Requirements

The following criteria must be satisfied to participate in the exchange programme:
  • Be a registered full-time student;
  • Have completed at least one academic year at UWI;
  • Have attained at least a GPA of 3.0, or B average and;
  • Have no disciplinary action pending and be in good financial standing


If you are studying at one of the UWI, Mona Campus’ partner institutions and wish to apply to come to Mona on exchange, there are 3 easy steps that you must complete:

  • Download application form for Student Exchange/Study Abroad (Incoming) Programmes from our website at: Forms and Downloads
  • Visit the faculty website to select course(s). Applicants are not allowed to pursue more than five (5) courses per semester under this category of registration.
  • Supporting documents to be faxed or sent by email.

The following items must be submitted with the completed application form:

  • A photocopy of the passport data page
  • An official transcript with current registration

Programmes offered at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the following faculties/school/institute for Exchange Students:

Students must satisfy the pre-requisite requirement(s) for the courses that will be pursued. Students may register for no more than 5 courses per semester, but no less than 4 courses per semester (unless approved to do so by their home university). Details of the credit system are available on the Faculty website.

Top of Page