Currently I investigate insecticidal resistance in mosquitoes that carries diseases that are interest to humans and examine these mosquitoes for molecular markers that are usually associated with insecticide resistance in order to elucidate the underlying bases of resistance in the insects. In addition to this, I also test the efficacy of organic compounds as pesticide-synergists and or insecticides against these mosquitoes.
My research interest has taken a bit of a meandering path to get to where I am now. Prior to my mosquito interest, I examined the effect of natural compounds on Phase I and Phase II drug metabolizing enzymes, Cytochrome P450s (heterologously expressed insect and human CYPs) and arylamine N-acetytransferase (NAT) respectively. Prior to this, I focused on anti-oxidants and its effect on muscle growth and development in Zebrafish (Danio rerio) and before that, I was out in the swamps looking at Mangroves, and physio-chemical parameters that determined their zonation in nature.
My areas of interest vary with every new and exciting bit of scientific information I come across, but as it relates to my current work, I am interested in metabolism of natural compounds by enzymes of pharmaceutical importance, and insect toxicology.
In addition to research, I am involved in multiple outreach programs aimed at fostering the creative minds of young adults, stimulating their passion in science and technology.
Select Journal Publications
• Francis S, Saavedra-Rodriguez K, Perera R, Paine M, Black W (IV), Delgoda R,. Insecticide resistance to Permethrin and Malathion and associated mechanisms in Aedes aegytpi mosquitoes from St Andrew Jamaica. PLOS ONE 2017 June; 12 (6): e0179673. Doi 10.1371/journal.pone.0179673
• Badal S, Asuncion Valenzuela M, Zylstra D, Huang G, Vendantam P, Francis S, Quitugua A, Amis L, Davis W, Tzeng T, Jacobs H, Gangemi D, Raner G, Rowland L, Wooten J, Campbell P, Brantley E, Delgoda R. Glaucarubulone glucoside from Castela macrophylla suppresses MCF‐7 breast cancer cell growth and attenuates benzo [a] pyrene‐mediated CYP1A gene induction. Journal of Applied Toxicology. 2017 Jan; Doi: 10.1002/jat.3436
• Francis, S., N. Laurieri, C. Nwokocha and R. Delgoda. Treatment of Rats with Apocynin Has Considerable Inhibitory Effects on Arylamine N-Acetyltransferase Activity in the Liver. Scientific Reports 2016 May 6; 26906 Doi: 10.1038/srep26906.
• Francis S, Delgoda R. A patent review on the development of human cytochrome P450 inhibitors. Expert opinion on therapeutic patents. 2014 Jun; 24(6); 699-717.
• Francis S, Delgoda R, and Young R. Effects of embryonic exposure to -lipoic acid or ascorbic acid on hatching rate and development of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquaculture Research 2014 Jun; 43(5):777-788.
• Badal S, Williams S, Huang G, Francis S, Vendantam P, Dunbar O, Jacobs H, Tzeng TJ, Gangemi J, and Delgoda R. Cytochrome P450 1 enzyme inhibition and anticancer potential of chromene amides from Amyris Plumieri. Fitoterapia 2011 Mar; 82(2):230-236.
There is currently no content classified with this term.