Vincent HoSang Entrepreneurship Programme
What is the UWI Venture competition about?
The Vincent HoSang Entrepreneurship Programme (VHEP) was introduced in November 2002 with the objective to encourage members of the University community to use their talents and skills to harness ideas and opportunities that can be grown into full-fledged operating businesses through the Vincent HoSang UWI Venture Competition organized by Mona School of Business and Management.
Who can enter the competition?
The competition is open to both undergraduate and graduate UWI (Mona) registered students across ALL faculties of the campus, not just the Mona School of Business and Management. We encourage teams to enter the competition as against sole entrepreneurs, and each team should have at least two (2) but no more than five (5) members.
How do I enter the competition?
To enter the UWI Venture Competition, complete the application form on the website at
What happens after I submit my application?
After applications are received, applicants will receive a notification acknowledging receipt. Then the next steps are as follows:
- Mentor Briefing Session – groups will be assigned to a mentor for the duration of the competition
- Boot Camp Sessions – Boot camps will be held in order to assist students get more information and build on their business. The following areas will be covered (Marketing, Business Model Canvas, Finance, and Corporate Social Responsibility).
- Business Model Canvas Submissions – groups will be asked to submit their business model canvas for review.
- Eliminations – based on the plans submitted and presentations, groups will go through eliminations for the finals.
- Finals – groups who made it through the eliminations will participate for a chance to win cash prizes to invest in their company among other awards.
Can I enter more than one business idea?
Each team is only allowed to have one entry per year. It is recommended that you select the idea which you think is the most scalable and viable of the business ideas.
Can students from other Universities enter if one of their team members is registered at UWI?
No only currently registered UWI students ONLY can enter the competition and represent the team.
Can current UWI (Mona) Faculty members enter the competition?
Yes current Faculty members can enter?
Can a team with only (1) team member enter the competition?
This may be considered under special circumstances however we encourage teams of two (2) but not more than five (5) members to apply.
What happens after the competition?
After the university competition, the strongest teams will be selected to participate in the Development Bank of Jamaica’s (DBJ) National Business Model Competition (NBMC). The objective of this annual competition is to foster and promote entrepreneurial spirit, creative thinking and collaboration on the campuses of Jamaica’s universities and includes participants from the major local universities. This Competition allows start-ups to vie for a chance to win a cash prize to be invested in their businesses.