Objective: To assess the severity caused by button batteries in esophagus.
Methods: A total of 32 patients admitted with ingesting button batteries were retrospectively evaluated. Chest X-ray was ordered for diagnosis. Hospital stays, interventions, complications and mortality of the patients were collected. The time between the patients ingested the buton battery and its removal was defined as its duration in esophagus. All the patients underwent rigid esophagoscopy under general anaesthesia. Buton batteries at the first narrowing were removed by magyl clamp.
Results: Of 32 patients, 21 were females, with a mean age of 22 months. The mean duration of ingestion was 17 hours. The mean hospital stay was 10 days. Of the patients, 75% were admitted within 24 hours. Complication rate was 19% and mortality rate was 6%. There was a strong correlation among the number of the cases and the coming years (p < 0.001). The regression was between the number of cases per year (outcome variable) and the years of the study (explanatory variable), (p < 0.001, R = 0.644, Figure 3). There was a significant finding that more cases (90%) were admitted in the last 12 years compared with the number in first 12 years (p < 0.001). There were no complications in cases in which the button battery was impacted in esophagus for less than 24 hours; however, eight cases whose duration was more than 24 hours resulted in complications in six patients and fatality in two patients (p < 0.001).
Conclusion: Batteries should be removed upon its diagnosis. Otherwise, the injury in the esophageal mucosa may be caused by delay and can cause an increase in morbidity and mortality.