A 60-year old female patient was found comatosed at home and taken to the hospital’s Emergency Department
by her relatives. It was learnt that she wrapped her knees with spirit-impregnated cotton pad for pain for one week. On physical examination, only a colour change of purple violet on her knees was noted. Metabolic acidosis with increased anion gap was detected by arterial blood analysis. The patient underwent haemodialysis. She was discharged from the hospital with no complaints, alert and rational following five days of follow-up treatment, with the diagnosis of methyl alcohol poisoning.