Close Menu

Patterns of Azole Susceptibility of Candida albicans Isolated from Clinical Samples at a Tertiary Care Hospital in Georgetown, Guyana

DOI: 
10.7727/wimj.2018.069

ABSTRACT

Objective: This study sought to examine the frequency of isolation and azole susceptibility patterns of clinical Candida albicans isolates from a tertiary hospital in Georgetown, Guyana during a three-month period.

Methods: Isolation and germ-tube identification of Candida sp were done by the hospital Microbiology Department. Further identification was made by assessing the colour and morphology of Candida isolates subcultured from SDA onto HardyCHROM Candida. Antifungal susceptibility testing and results interpretation were performed in accordance with the CLSI M44-A2 guidelines.

Results: sixty-two non-duplicate isolates of Candida were analysed from multiple patient sources. The majority of these isolates were Candida albicans (56.5%), while the remainder (43.5%%) were non-C albicans species of which C glabrata (32.3%) and C krusei (8.1%) were the predominant species. 28.6% of the C albicans isolates were resistant to fluconazole and voriconazole, respectively, while 40% of the isolates were resistant to itraconazole.

Conclusion: Azole resistance is a common phenomenon among C albicans isolates within the setting of the Georgetown Public Hospital Corp (GPHC).

 

Accepted: 
22 May, 2018
PDF Attachment: 
Weight: 
0
e-Published: 26 Feb, 2019

Disclaimer

Manuscripts that are Published Ahead of Print have been peer reviewed and accepted for publication by the Editorial Board of the West Indian Medical Journal. They may appear in their original format and may not be copy edited or formatted in the style guide of this Journal. While accepted manuscripts are not yet assigned a volume, issue or page numbers, they can be cited using the DOI and date of e-publication. See our Instructions for Authors on how to properly cite manuscripts at this stage. The contents of the manuscript may change before it is published in its final form. Manuscripts in this section will be removed once they have been issued to a volume and issue, but will still retain the DOI and date of e-publication.

Top of Page