Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

General (6)

Presently, we offer the following languages: Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese and Portuguese.

FAQ Category: 

Thank you for your interest in taking a course with our Department. Please contact the Admissions section of the University at (876) 927-2779 or to enquire about how to register for one of our courses as a specially admitted student.

FAQ Category: 

Thank you for your interest in working with the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, UWI Mona Campus. Please visit the website of the Human Resource Management Division for current vacancies.

FAQ Category: 

You may visit the UWI Student Administration System (SAS) website and enter your student ID# and password. Select the “Registration” option, then “Requests for Course Error Overrides” and state the course for which you are requesting an override and the reason. When you are finished, click “Submit Request”. Once approved by the Head of Department, you should be able to register for the course.

FAQ Category: 

That is dependent on the level of D.E.L.E. certification one has. Please take in the original of your certificate to our Department, where we will conduct an assessment to determine which courses you would be exempted from sitting.

FAQ Category: 

The Confucius Institute offers evening Chinese classes on campus. Please contact them at (876) 927-0375 for further information.

FAQ Category: 

Graduate Studies (10)

We currently offer the following programmes:

  • PhD Spanish
  • PhD in French
  • M. Phil Spanish
  • M. Phil French
  • M. A in Translation


FAQ Category: 

Applicants will normally be expected to have, at least an Upper Second class honours degree in the relevant or an analogous subject area, or a qualification accepted as equivalent.
For our M.A in Translation, applicants should normally possess at lest an Upper Second class degree in one of the following combinations:

  • French/Spanish Double Major
  • French Major/ Spanish Minor
  • Spanish Major/French Minor
FAQ Category: 

Fee information for all Graduate programmes is available on the Office of Graduate Studies and Research’s website. They can also be checked on


FAQ Category: 

Available scholarships and bursaries are advertised on the Office of Graduate Studies and Research's website, Campus Pipeline as well as the Notice Boards across campus.

You may also visit the Office of Student Financing for more information on Scholarships and Bursaries. The website is

International Students may visit the International Student Office's website to find out what financial aid programmes are available to them. Their website is

FAQ Category: 

 Timetables are available on the Department’s notice Board. They are usually scheduled for evening hours to accommodate persons who work.

FAQ Category: 

International students may visit the Office of Students’ Services website. Here you will be able to seek available accommodation options.



FAQ Category: 

Complete and submit your online application form.

  1. Ensure you complete all areas of the online form that feature a red asterisk.

  2. Ensure you submit a valid email address on the form. It is the means by which The UWI will  communicate with you 


Scan and upload all relevant certified documents to the application:

  1. Birth certificate, Academic certificates ( e.g. CSEC, CAPE), Professional certificates and/or Diplomas;

  2. Marriage certificate/Deed Poll (whichever is applicable) if present name is different from that on documents.

  3. Applicants currently attending an educational institution should have copies of the relevant documents certified by the educational institution before scanning and uploading.

  4. All other applicants should have documents certified by a notary public before scanning and uploading.

  5. The University reserves the right to ask applicant to submit original documents for verification by or before registration

  6. Additional documents, if required for specific programmes


If you have done post-secondary academic work, you should request a transcript from your college/university to be sent directly to the Admissions Section, The University of the West Indies, Mona, Kingston 7, Jamaica. High school students do not need to send transcript.

FAQ Category: 

The UWI, Mona is a fully-accredited tertiary-level institution. Our programmes - available across our 5 Faculties, 8 schools and 12 specialist centres - have been closely examined and evaluated, and we are proud of the 'flying colours' we have continuously received.

FAQ Category: 

Transfer and Upgrading of Registration MPhil Students: - may apply for upgrade to PhD after a period of one (1) year (full-time students) and two(2) years (part-time students) from date of initial registration But should complete the upgrade by the end of three(3) years (full-time students) or five(5) years (part-time students) from the date of initial registration.

FAQ Category: 

Yes, should a student be not satisfied with the grade received for a taught course, a remark or review can be requested. Regulation governing the both processes can be perused in the Regulation for Graduate Degrees and Diplomas handbook.

Both processes should be requested through the Examinations Section.



FAQ Category: 
Top of Page