Close Menu


What is Plagiarism?

A pre-requisite is a course which must be completed before registration for another course is permitted.  A pre-requisite course provides many of the fundamental concepts required for the more advanced course.

An elective or free elective is any course that is listed in the Faculty Handbook or departmental handbook which is optional  in the degree programme concerned and may be selected from any Faculty. Departmental electives must be selected from courses within your Department.

If I change my major, what year handbook do I follow for my new major?

You are bound by the year when you started the new major

I wish to change my major (add another major, minor etc). What should I do?

You should make a request for the intended major/minor online. Check to ensure that such request is approved before registering for the corresponding courses.

What is the difference between part-time and full-time?

A part-time student is allowed to register for no more than 3 courses per semester.
A full-time student must register for 5 courses per semester (30 credits for the year)


What are core courses?

Core courses are specified courses that students must complete in order to be awarded a degree.

Full time students normally register for thirty (30) credits, that is, 10 courses in any one academic year while part-time students may not register for more than eighteen (18) credits or 6 courses per year.  In special circumstances, students may be allowed to exceed their credit limit.

Registration is usually complete when:

Courses are selected/adjusted “none requiring overrides”

Financial clearance is obtained

Registrar’s approval is granted

Student is in possession of a valid UWI identification card

Financial clearance is normally granted within two (2) working days after the payment of fees. Registrars Approval will be granted on the receipt of Financial Clearance.

What is add/drop?

During the registration period, students will be permitted to request adjustments to their academic programme once they have obtained academic approval. This request should be made on the Student Administrative System (SAS).

Registration after the normal registration period may be permitted in exceptional circumstances.

Application to add or drop a course may be made through the Faculty Office via the Automated Student Request System (ASRS) via   Late registration attracts a penalty.


Application for exemptions must be made through the Faculty Office via the Automated Student Request Module (ASRM) via SAS.

Exemptions (without credit) are applied to pre-selected University level one courses for registered students in the Faculty who obtained a grade one (I) through to grade four (IV) in certain CAPE subjects.    

Exemptions with credit means that credits will not be granted. In these cases, students must replace the subjects done at CAPE with other courses approved by the Department.


A student who has obtained Grades I-IV in the following CAPE subjects may receive exemptions without credit for the corresponding UWI-Level 1 courses: 


CAPE Subjects                                               UWI Level 1 Courses

Accounting Unit 1                                          Financial Accounting

Accounting Unit 2                                          Introduction to Cost and Management Accounting

Caribbean Studies                                           Caribbean Civilisation

Economics Unit 1                                           Introduction to Microeconomics

Economics Unit 2                                           Introduction to Macroeconomics

Pure Mathematics Units 1 & 2                        Mathematics for the Social Sciences

Sociology Unit 1                                             Sociology for the Caribbean

Statistical Analysis                                          Introductory Statistics or Introductory Statistics


for the Behavioural Sciences

You will not normally be credited for the same course twice.  Please seek guidance from your department regarding a replacement course.

Part-time in the Faculty is defined by a student’s work load per semester and does not mean evening studies.  While some Level I courses are offered in the evening, the majority of the courses at Levels II and III are taught during the day only.  Thus, students registered part-time must be prepared to attend classes between 8am and 5pm. 

Do I have to do all of my level 1 courses before I am allowed to do level 2 courses? 

You do not need to complete all of your level 1 courses first but you must ensure that you have the prerequisites for the specific level 2 or 3 course. You should also ensure that you complete all of your core courses.


You would normally be register again for the full course.  However, departments, upon being advised of the situation, have other discretionary options that may be applied. (Refer to the current issue of the Faculty Handbook, Exams Only Regulations 11.2.)

If you missed an examination for medical reasons, you should submit a signed medical certificate within seven days to the Examination Section of the Registry. (Refer to Examination Regulations, Section II, 17-32)


Exams Only regulation

Students will only be entitled to register for “Examinations Only” in the following circumstances after having been registered for and attended classes in a course(s):

  • He/she has failed one or two of the final courses needed to complete the degree programme and obtained a mark of no less than 45% in each course.
  • He/she has obtained a medical excuse, certified by the University Health Centre, for not having attempted an exam.
  • In exceptional circumstances, the Dean may grant a student a deferral from sitting an exam and permission to take it on a subsequent occasion, by virtue of special assignments overseas for an employer (part-time students only) or by virtue of being selected to represent the country on a national team. In both instances, formal representation will have to be made by the employer/national association.

Candidates are informed of the dates and times of written papers by means of the publications of the official examination timetable and also emails are sent to candidates. 

Candidates who are absent from examinations because of mis-reading of the timetable shall be liable to the normal penalties for absence from an examination and will have to await the next official sitting to take the examination. (Refer to Examination Regulations 2008-2009, Section V, 84-96).


During orientation week, each department offers academic advising at designated times and location. Refer to the Faculty’s Orientation Schedule of Activities for details. The dates and times for the Faculty’s orientation week of activities should be carefully observed.

Outside of orientation week, students may go to the departmental office responsible for their programme for academic advising.

I failed a course can I do a re-sit?

There is no such thing as a re-sit. A student must register for the failed course at the next convenient time. This means that if you are full time and registering for the course you failed you must select four additional courses. It cannot be done as an extra course.

I missed a coursework exam. What should I do?

A student who is absent from a coursework examination may apply to the Dean of the Faculty for exemption from this examination no later than one week following the date of this examination. He/she must at the same time submit to the Assistant Registrar (Examinations) justification for such absence. For example, a medical certificate in the case of illness.

How can I be granted an Oral Examination?

The Board of Examiners may recommend to the Department that a student who has failed the last one or two courses required to complete the degree be offered an Oral Examination in that one or those two courses provided that he/she has obtained in each instance a mark of at least 35% for the course(s). 
The Oral examination will concern the courses as a whole, and not be restricted to the questions set in the examination, which the student did. The first examiner and at least one other Examiner must be present at an Oral Examination.
If the examination is passed, the student cannot be awarded a mark higher than 40 a marginal pass for the course. If he/she fails the Oral, the student will not have any right of appeal or review


The Campus will suspend Late Fine Charges for outstanding fees between the period March 13th – April 13th, 2020.

The UWI, Mona remains committed to student success. Please continue to follow for more information and updates and keep safe.

Students who are unable to continue with the semester must apply for Leave of Absence. Such requests must be submitted via the Automated Student Request Management (ASRM) system by April 24, 2020.

Note that no special arrangements will be made for any component of a course which was missed due to the lack of registration/financial clearance.

Students who are already on an existing Installment Plan may engage the Student Administrative Services Section (SASS) to adjust existing payment deadlines. All installment payments must be completed before the start of the examination period.

Students who have been verified as being approved for Student Loans or other approved scholarships/grants will be able to sit their exams once the scholarship/grant covers their outstanding balance.

Students admitted in the 2018-2019 and the 2019-2020 academic years are required to be registered and financially cleared for the current semester before commencing final examinations. Financial Clearance will now be dependent on the following conditions:

  1. Payment of Miscellaneous fees for the academic year in full; and
  2. A minimum of 50% of the tuition fee is paid by the start of the examination period (date to be confirmed) and the establishment of an approved Installment Plan with the Student Administrative Services Section (SASS) for the balance to be cleared before the end of the semester.

Students are required to clear their outstanding fees (Tuition and Miscellaneous) for Semester One in order to register for Semester Two.

Given that some students are still not registered and will therefore not be able to access course content on our online platform, the Campus has decided to waive the Late Registration Fee of J$4,000 allowing students, who have not already done so, to register. The fee will be waived for registration between March 15th and the end of teaching (date to be confirmed).

Classes will resume in an on-line/virtual mode on April 14, 2020.

Top of Page