- 1.1 Applicants must normally have attained a minimum age of 18 years at the commencement of the academic year of entry to the MB BS programme. Initial entry to the MB BS programme constitutes entry to the B. Med. Sci. programme also.
- 1.2 Applicants must submit their applications to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs, The University of the West Indies, Mona, Kingston 7, Jamaica, by the end of the second week of January each year. For procedures concerning applications and for further information candidates should write to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Student Affairs.
- 1.3 Applicants required to withdraw from the Faculty for failing to complete the MB BS Degree Programme within the stipulated time or because of poor performance may be considered for readmission to the MB BS Degree Programme, and, where applicable, the BMedSci Degree Programme, after at least one year has elapsed since their withdrawal.
Qualifications for Admission
Applicants who wish to begin the degree programmes must fulfil the general University regulations concerning matriculation and, in addition, the specific requirements of the Faculty set out below.
The academic requirements for admission to the MB BS and BMedSci Degree Programmes are based on the applicant’s proficiency and attainment in any of the following, hereinafter referred to as "approved examinations"
- 2.1 Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE)/General Certificate of Education Advanced (“A”) Level Examinations or their equivalent.
- 2.2 UWI Preliminary or Introductory Level Courses in the appropriate subjects in the Faculty of Pure and Applied Sciences (Mona), the Faculty of Pure and Applied Sciences (Cave Hill) or the Faculty of Science and Agriculture (St. Augustine) (see Regulation 2.3 and 2.4 below). Programmes/Courses which are considered equivalent at institutions recognised by the University of the West Indies (see Regulation 2.9 below).
- 2.3 The applicant must have obtained three (3) passes in the approved examinations including Biology/Zoology and Chemistry. The third subject can be Physics, Mathematics or any other approved subject including one from the humanities or social sciences provided that passes have also been obtained in Physics and Mathematics at the CSEC(CXC) or GCE O Level. The minimum academic standard for entry is an average of two 3’s and one 2 at Unit 2 CAPE or one B and two C’s at GCE Advanced Level
- 2.4 Students currently studying at UWI in the Faculty of Pure and Applied Sciences (Mona), the Faculty of Pure and Applied Sciences (Cave Hill) or the Faculty of Science and Agriculture seeking to be transferred to the MB BS and BMedSci Degree Programmes shall only be considered from the Preliminary and/or Introductory level courses. All such students must complete and submit a Transfer Form by the end of the second week of January in the calendar year of proposed entry.
- 2.5 Applicants who are accepted into the three-year Bachelor of Basic Medical Sciences (BBMedSci) Degree programme shall not be permitted to transfer to the MB BS and BMedSci Degree Programmes at any time during their course but may apply to enter the MB BS and BMedSci Degree Programmes in any subsequent year after obtaining the Degree. In such cases, exemptions (see Regulation 5.4 and 5.5 below) may be granted.
- 2.6 Applicants holding UWI first degrees in the natural sciences with a minimum of lower second class honours may be considered for entry.
- 2.7 Applicants holding professional degrees in allied Health disciplines may also be considered for entry provided that they have attained a minimum average grade of B+ or grade point of 3.3 in the appropriate science subjects during their degree programme or Grade 3 passes in Biology/Zoology and Chemistry at Unit 2 CAPE /A Level or equivalent.
- 2.8 Applicants holding degrees other than degrees in the natural sciences may also be considered provided that they have attained a minimum average grade of B+ or grade point of 3.3 in the appropriate science subjects during their university programme or Grade 3 passes in Biology/Zoology and Chemistry at Unit 2 CAPE/A Level or equivalent.
- 2.9 Applicants with first degrees from institutions other than the UWI shall also be eligible provided that:
- The programme of study has been accredited by a relevant body or agency and is considered acceptable by the UWI.
- Credits have been obtained in Biology/Zoology and Chemistry.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 or its equivalent has been obtained.
- 2.10 All applicants are required to submit a short 250 - 300 word autobiographical summary outlining the reasons for their career choice.
- 2.11 An applicant’s chances of entry will be enhanced by documented and certified involvement in extracurricular activities in the years prior to his/her application.
- Each activity should be listed on the application form and must be accompanied by original letters of certification from principals, supervisors or employers for each activity. Both the duration of involvement and the level of responsibility of the applicant in each activity shall be taken into consideration and certifying documents must state these clearly.
- In considering these activities, the University places emphasis on applicant’s voluntary participation in community/social projects although consideration shall also be given to other extracurricular activities, experiences and abilities (such as music, sports, drama, and debating or proficiency in a foreign language).
- Applicants may also be required to attend an interview