Close Menu

Health Insurance

The University provides medical care to all permanent members of staff; this service includes a clinic during official hours, drugs, X-rays, physiotherapy, counselling, mental health care, child health care with a full immunization programme and hospitalization for employees and their dependents. This scheme is financed by contributions from employees and the University.

Since January 1, 1999 the University provides health care to its employees and their dependents in accordance with the provisions of the contract between the University of the West Indies and an agreed Health Administrator.

The following members of an employee’s family may be properly regarded as dependents in connection with the services offered by the University Health Services:

  • wives/husbands (including common law) of employee
  • children under 18 years of age
  • children over 18 years of age but under 23 years of age in full time education
  • parents over 60 years of age and fully dependent on the staff member.
  • such other person as the employee can convince the University is wholly dependent on him/her for material support.

A check with the Commissioner of Income Tax should verify the dependent status of the parent for whom the claim is made. However, with effect from January 1, 1999, the Health Scheme provided by the University for Employees and their dependents will not include dependent parents. Only employees whose dependent parents were registered on the University Health Scheme, prior to January 1, 1999, will continue to be provided with health care by the University, through the University Health Centre.

The University has agreed as follows:-

  • Staff at the Pre-school Child Development Centre: This category of staff should be treated on the same basis as U.W.I. staff and students.
  • Jamaica Youth Corps Workers: Workers on assignment from the Jamaica Youth Corps and H.E.A.R.T. should receive service at the Health Centre without charge.
  • Temporary Employees: Temporary employees appointed for a period of at least six (6) months should be entitled to treatment on the same basis as the permanent staff, but for temporary employees less than six (6) months, who are generally regarded as relief workers, should only be allowed to receive treatment at the Health Centre in cases of emergency on the written request of the Human Resource Management Division.

However, Since January 1, 1999, permanent employees and temporary employees with contracts for one year or more are provided with health care in accordance with the provisions of the contract between the University and a selected Health Administrator.

Reimbursement of Money Paid for Drugs

The University reviewed its decision on the conditions under which reimbursement was made of money paid for drugs and agreed that those persons eligible to receive this service at the University Health Centre, including dependents, would be entitled to reimbursement of money paid for drugs.

As of January 1, 1999, reimbursement to eligible persons shall be as provided under the agreement between the University and an agreed health administrator. Reimbursement for dependent parents shall be as provided under the arrangement existing, prior to January 1, 1999.


Top of Page