The Faculty of Humanities and Education evolved out of the original Faculty of Arts established in 1950 and the Faculty of Arts and General Studies which was started in 1964 to co-ordinate the teaching of General Degree studies instituted in 1963. In 1996, the Faculty of Arts and General Studies was merged with the Faculty of Education and became the Faculty of Arts and Education. In 2002, the decision was taken to rename the Faculty to the Faculty of Humanities and Education.
The Faculty of Humanities and Education enjoys a long tradition for excellence in teaching and pioneering research in cultural studies, education, history, library studies, linguistics, literature, media and communication, modern languages and philosophy.
Departments in the Humanities and Education have made significant on-going contributions to the work of the Caribbean Examinations Council, as well as to the Joint Board of Teacher Education. The Faculty has significantly contributed to the development of regional thinking, professional standards and to the building of Caribbean identities.