In keeping with the mission of the university and the Office of Student Services and Development the Sports Unit seeks to provide a sporting and recreational environment which will facilitate the interaction of and the development of a healthy university community.
Sports Enhancement Project
The Sports Enhancement Project is located in the Office of the Deputy Principal, and was formed to develop a new thrust in sports at The University of the West Indies, Mona Campus.
The Project works in collaboration with the UWI, Mona Sports Unit located in the Office of Student Services and has the following terms of reference:
- To facilitate a new thrust in sports with the involvement of all stakeholders
- To redouble the interest in UWI, Mona sports from both student-athletes and supporters
- To create and maintain a website for sports at UWI, Mona
- To promote and award sports scholarships and grants
- To oversee the rehabilitation and development of the current athletic facilities
- To review and update the design for the sporting facilities outlined in the Campus Master Plan
- To assist in the development of new athletic facilities for UWI, Mona
- To assist in the development of a Strategic Plan for UWI, Mona sports
In keeping with the Strategic Plan for the University, it is envisaged that our students will not only be leaders in Academia, but also leaders in out of classroom learning. With this in mind, it is our intention to offer the student-athlete in Jamaica and the Caribbean internationally competitive athletic facilities and programmes while reading for a quality UWI degree. This will present the environment for our students to show their sporting prowess while providing their fellow students and number one supporters with a spectacular show.