Three (3) easy steps to become a UWI Pelican
Step 1: Review Entry Requirements and Choose your Programmes
You can apply for 4 programme options (in order of preference) across 2 faculties.
Step 2: Complete and submit your online application form.
Step 3: Once you have received an offer, accept as soon as possible to reserve your space.
Offers are usually made between February and August. Apply early for early consideration
Applicants should have the equivalent of 5 subjects (grades 1-3, including English Language) of which two(2) should be at the advanced level. CAPE (2 units each) at grades 1-5, to be eligible for the full time 3 year degree programmes.
Each Faculty and Programme will have its own specific requirements.
English Language is compulsory for admission to all programmes at the University of The West Indies. Candidates who do not possess a Grade 1 in CSEC English A, a Grade A in GCE O’Level/ BGCSE English Language, Grade 1 or 2 in CAPE Communication Studies or a Grade A in the GCE General Paper, are required to take an English Language Proficiency Test on entry. www.mona.uwi.edu/dllp/language/elptu/
Applicants whose first language in not English must perform satisfactory in an approved English Language Test, such as the Test of English for Foreign Language (TOEFL). For information of TOEFL please visit www.toefl.org.
OTHER ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Associate degree (A.Sc.) from approved Caribbean tertiary level institutions with a minimum GPA of 2.5 and above are considered as having satisfied normal matriculation requirements for entry to certain faculties. In specific instances credit/exemptions may be given in respect of level 1 courses. A higher GPA is required in order to obtain credit/Exemption based on A.Sc degrees.
Non Regional Qualifications
- International Baccalaureate(IB)
- SAT/ Advanced Placement
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
- A degree from an accredited university
Programmes by Faculty
What are the steps to applying for entry to UWI?
- Complete and submit your online application form.
- Ensure you complete all areas of the online form that feature a red asterisk.
- Ensure you submit a valid email address on the form. It is the means by which The UWI will communicate with you
- Scan and upload all relevant certified documents to the application:
- Birth certificate, Academic certificates ( e.g. CSEC, CAPE), Professional certificates and/or Diplomas;
- Marriage certificate/Deed Poll (whichever is applicable) if present name is different from that on documents.
- Applicants currently attending an educational institution should have copies of the relevant documents certified by the educational institution before scanning and uploading.
- All other applicants should have documents certified by a notary public before scanning and uploading.
The University reserves the right to ask applicant to submit original documents for verification by or before registration
- Additional documents, if required for specific programmes
- If you have done post-secondary academic work, you should request a transcript from your college/university to be sent directly to the Admissions Section, The University of the West Indies, Mona, Kingston 7, Jamaica. High school students do not need to send transcript.