STUDENT ASSISTANT EMPLOYMENT GUIDELINES
Set out below are the established guidelines for the recruitment and hiring of Student Assistants in the Faculty of Social Sciences.
- Students are hired on a per semester basis based on the availability of work.
- Students are required to submit a completed application form, along with a certified academic record and an up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- Students failing any course will not normally be employed by the Faculty.
- Consideration will be given to students from other faculties in cases where they possess specific skills not readily available among FSS students.
- Students will be required to sign a Confidentiality Statement prior to the start of work.
- Students will be required to submit original proof of their NIS, TRN, passport or birth certificate, and an academic reference.
APPEARANCE & DEPORTMENT
Students should be attired and present themselves (clothing, shoes, jewelry, hairstyles) in a way that reflects the standards of dress recognized within various professional environments.
- Clothing: (i) Should be of appropriate length and coverage, i.e., clothing should not be tight, sheer, loose/baggy, cut/torn, short, low cut, or backless. Examples of these are, sleeveless shirt/dress; shorts (or knee-length pants); jeans with holes or patches; mini-skirts; and tops/blouses/shirts which reveal the midriff, cleavage, back or undergarment.(ii) Students working as the receptionist should not wear clothing (including neckties) with insignia associated with any institution or organization. This includes other on-campus departments and halls of residence.
- Accessories: As a rule less is more. Students should not wear more than one pair of earrings, two rings, one pair of bangles or one chain. Non-traditional jewelry such as nose, tongue, and eyebrow rings should not be worn. Cologne and other strong perfumed scents should be worn in moderation. Excessive makeup should be avoided and proper personal hygiene is expected by the Faculty Office staff and the clients we serve.
- Shoes: Students should not wear flip flop or house slippers.
- Hair: Hairstyle, hair colour or hair dress should project a professional appearance.
- Work time should not exceed 15 hours per week during the semester and 35 hours per week during the summer months, unless otherwise indicated.
- Students should complete, sign, and submit their timesheet to the Faculty Office on a fortnightly basis. Timesheets must also be verified and signed by the Supervisor.
- Students working hours will be arranged with the supervisor. However, once agreed upon, student assistants will be expected to maintain his/her schedule.
- Students will be required to notify their supervisor of their absence at least three (3) hours before scheduled time for work.
- Students working for four (4) or more hours in succession are entitled to a one (1) hour break during that working period.
TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT
- In the event that you find it necessary to stop working prior to the end date, you will be expected to give two weeks advance notice.
- Your supervisor may also recommend your termination at his/her discretion after two weeks advance notice.
- Students should ensure that at the end of their work period, the supervisor completes and submits to the Faculty Office a Performance Evaluation Form.
- Students would not normally be rehired if (a) they received an unfavourable evaluation report, (b) they failed courses during the semester they were hired; except in cases where they still managed to obtain a semester GPA of 3 or above and (c) they failed English for Academic Purposes (FOUN1001) or its equivalent.